Jira Service Desk is a proprietary issue tracking product developed by Atlassian which allows bug tracking and agile project management. The Uptime.com integration allows you to push alerts to their platform, and we have worked together to make the integration seamless. To get started, you will first need to set up a Jira account at https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira.
Please Note: These instructions are based on a third-party, and are subject to change without warning.
Table of Contents
- Integration Functionality
- Step 1: Obtain your API Key
- Step 2: Determine your Jira Service Desk Domain
- Step 3: Setup your Jira Service Desk Project for Uptime.com Alerts
- Step 4: (Optional): Create Custom Field(s) to Receive Additional Values
- Assign Integration to Existing Contacts
- Create New Contacts for the Integration
- Assign Integration Contact to a Check
- Test Your Integration
- Final Thoughts
When an alert is created within Uptime.com, an Incident is created in your Jira Service Desk for a specific project.
The alert can be customized with additional labels, and customized fields, to help prioritize and organize incidents related to Uptime.com checks.
A series of steps are required to complete the Integration with Jira, and you will need to switch between Jira Service Desk and Uptime.com at various stages. Follow these steps to complete your Integration setup.
In order to activate the integration of Jira within your Uptime account, you will go to Notifications>Integrations, then click New Profile.
- Select Jira Service Desk as the Provider Type when adding a new push notifications profile.
A screenshot of all required values.
Step 1: Obtain your API Key
Log in to Jira Service Desk and go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens.
Click Create API Token, then name your API Token.
- Copy it and return to Uptime.com. Paste the API Token into the corresponding field, and enter the email address you used to register with Jira.
Step 2: Determine Your Jira Service Desk Subdomain
Return to your Jira Service Desk.
Copy the beginning part of the address/URL from the top of your browser. It will look like: https://your-domain.atlassian.net.
- Return to Uptime.com and paste this information into the Jira Subdomain field.
Step 3: Setup Your Jira Service Desk Project for Uptime.com Alerts
- Copy the Project Key and Paste it into Uptime.com
While logged into your Service Desk, click Project Settings (the cog icon) from the menu, and then choose Details from the subsequent menu.
Copy the value shown in the Key field (Example value: SMPSRVDESK), then return to Uptime.com.
Paste the Key into the Project Key field.
- Ensure "Incident" Issue is Enabled.
- While logged into your Service Desk click Project Settings (the cog icon) from the menu, and then choose Issue.
- Select Submit a Request or Incident and ensure the default issue scheme is associated with your Jira project.
- Click Default Issue Type Scheme and select your project name from the available options.
Step 4 (Optional): Create Custom Field(s) to Receive Additional Values
Go to your Jira homepage and select Jira Settings (cog icon) from the menu.
Select Issues and then Custom Fields from the next two menus.
- Click Add custom field and follow the dialogs to create your field. In this case, configure a Custom Text Field to receive the account name.
NOTE: Custom fields are always optional, but they allow you to add additional specific values to Jira issues created by Uptime.com alerts.
- Finally Edit your new field from the field list shown, and then you can copy the Custom Field ID (the last number in your browser's address/URL bar).
Visit Jira Support documentation for more information on creating Custom Fields.
- Once you've configured your Jira integration, you will need to assign it to a contact and make sure that contact is notified when a Check fails.
Assign Integration to Existing Contacts
To add your integration to an existing contact, click on or type the name of the contact into the Assign to Contacts field within the integration setup screen.
Create New Contacts for the Integration
Adding a dedicated or new contact cannot be done within the integrations screen. To do so first, click Notifications > Contacts.
You can select New Contact, or add your integration to an existing contact.
Select the Jira Service Desk option from the Integrations field within the Add Contact screen.
Assign Integration Contact to a Check
If you have created a new or dedicated contact for your integration, you will need to add it to specific checks.
If you have assigned the integration to a contact that is already assigned to one (or more) checks, you may skip this step.
Return to your Check’s Edit screen and assign this contact to the Contacts field to be notified of a downtime event. Alert data will appear in real time.
Test Your Integration
Test your integration with one of the following two options:
Force the Check assigned to your Integration to fail by altering it (HTTPS checks can use a misspelling of the domain, for example)
Click Notifications>Contacts, then click Actions>Test to send a test to the Contact
With Jira's customizable workflows and issue tracking features, you can manage incidents and assign contacts to resolve issues quickly and efficiently, reducing downtime and improving user experience.
Incorporating Jira's alerting and contact management features can help you to deliver better value to their clients by providing a more streamlined and effective incident response process.
For more information or technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact at email@example.com.