Datadog is a monitoring service for cloud-scale applications, bringing together data from servers, databases, tools and services. The integration allows you to push alerts and response time metrics to their platform, and we have worked together to make this integration seamless. To get started, you will first need to set up a Datadog account at https://datadog.com/.
Please Note: These instructions are based on a third-party, and are subject to change without warning.
Table of Contents
- Integration Functionality
- Integration Setup
- Final Thoughts
- When an alert is created in Uptime.com, a corresponding event is issued in Datadog.
- Events within Datadog can be assigned lower priority, and commented on.
- Response times of your checks can be tracked as metrics in DataDog.
- Metrics will update every five minutes with five data points from one-minute checks.
To set up the integration first:
- Login to your Datadog account, then click the Integrations menu > Integrations.
- Search for Uptime.com and click Configure > Install.
- Once installed, select your avatar, located at the bottom of the page > Select Organization Settings > and then API Keys.
- Click on your API Key to reveal your key. To Create a new key click New Key.
- To retrieve your application key navigate to the Organization Settings Page>Press Application Key.
- Once you have both accessed the API Key and Application key, return to Uptime.com.
- In order to activate your integration with Datadog within your Uptime account, you will go to Notifications > Integrations, then click New Profile.
- Select Datadog as the Provider Type when adding a new push notifications profile.
- Provide a name for the integration, and by selecting the copy icon to the right of your API Key and Application key, you will be able to paste both into their respective fields.
Please note: it is possible to toggle the API region between US and EU, to send data as needed. Follow the steps above using either a Datadog US or EU account, as application and API keys can vary by region, and set the API Region to US or EU as appropriate.
10. Once you've configured your Datadog integration, you will need to assign it to a contact
and make sure that contact is notified when a Check fails.
Assign Integration to Existing Contacts
To add your integration to an existing contact, click on or type the name of the contact into the Assign to Contacts field within the integration setup screen.
Create New Contacts for the Integration
Adding a dedicated or new contact cannot be done within the integrations screen. To do so first, click Notifications > Contacts.
You can select New Contact, or add your integration to an existing contact.
Select the Datadog option from the Integrations field within the Add Contact screen.
Assign Integration Contact to a Check
If you have created a new or dedicated contact for your integration, you will need to add it to specific checks.
If you have assigned the integration to a contact that is already assigned to one (or more) checks, you may skip this step.
Finally, return to your Check’s Edit screen and assign Datadog as one of the Contacts to be notified of a downtime event and to receive response time metrics.
Metrics will update every five minutes with five data points from one-minute checks. On initial setup, metric data may take up to 30 minutes to initially appear.
Please note: Response time data is stored based on account usage. Uptime.com stores hourly data for a maximum of 90 days, and daily check data for a period of up to 24 months.
Test Your Integration
Test your integration with one of the following two options:
- Force the Check assigned to your Integration to fail by altering it (HTTPS checks can use a misspelling of the domain, for example)
- Click Notifications>Contacts, then click Actions>Test to send a test to the Contact
Incorporating Datadog as an integration can assist in providing real-time visibility into website performance as well as streamlining the alerting process and assigning contacts to receive the alerts.
Due to Datadog’s customizable alerting feature, setting up notifications for specific events and assigning contacts to resolve the issues quickly and efficiently is simple to do.
For more information or technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.